June 2015 Sheffield Delegates’ Meeting and national meet-up
Saturday 6 and Sunday 7 June 2015, Sheffield
Join fellow co-op’ers from across the UK for our summer meet-up in Sheffield Students’ Union, hosted by Sheffield Student Housing Co-operative. The weekend will include workshops and training, socials, our Delegates’ Meeting, group discussions, working group organising, and the first meeting for establishing a national body for financing student housing co-ops!
The Delegates Meeting is the sovereign decision-making body of Students for Cooperation. All are welcome to attend, irrespective of whether you are involved in a student co-operative, interested in co-ops, or simply curious. However only delegates sent on behalf of member co-operatives can formally vote in the Delegates Meeting.
You can contribute to the organising of the weekend on the SfC Loomio.
Transport and Accommodation
As is customary, free accommodation will be provided (please register!) and a travel subsidy/pool is available to those who need it. Students for Cooperation’s budget is tight, so we ask that where possible member co-ops fund the transport of their members. It may also be worth approaching your students’ union to ask for funding.
Tom Harrison: (Sheffield)
Mike Shaw: 07540248868 (Network Coordinator)
Or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Exact details to be added when available, and are subject to change.
Friday 5th June
- 2000 – Late – Dinner and social for early arrivals
Saturday 5th June
- 1000 – 1100 — Introductions, speed meet and greet
- 1100 – 1300 — Workshop: What would a co-operative education look like? (inc. break)
- Part of a project by academics at the University of Lincoln to develop a model for a co-operative university
- 1300 – 1400 — Lunch
- 1400 – 1700 — Establishing a national body for financing student housing co-ops (inc. break)
- Working with Andy from Acorn Co-op Support to digest his report and recommendations, and to decide the next steps towards purchasing properties.
- 2000 – Late — Evening social and dinner
Sunday 6th June
- 1000 – 1500 — During the day (timesto be confirmed):
- Working group organising
- Group discussions / training
- Delegates’ Meeting
Delegates Meeting Agenda
Welcome and Introduction
- Outline of hand signals and process
- Group agreement
- Updates from Member Co-ops
- Updates from Network Coordinators
- Financial update
- Democracy Regulations amendment (section 18, membership)
- Accepting new member co-ops
- [More resolutions are due to be added]
Any Other Business
The venue is Sheffield Students’ Union, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TG.
The building is fully accessible, though do get in touch if you feel you have any specific requirements that we may have overlooked.
We ask that each member co-operative send two delegates to represent the views of their membership. At least one of these delegates must define as a woman/non-gender binary. Delegates can be mandated by their co-operative to vote certain ways, in accordance to your co-operative’s policies and views.
Do feel free to send as many of your members as you wish, above and beyond your two formal delegates!
If for whatever reason your co-operative is not able to send delegates to Sheffield, then you have the option to partake in the delegates meeting electronically (such as via Skype).
Becoming a member co-operative
Any co-operative with a majority of members being students can become a Member and co-owner of Students for Cooperation. Membership is currently free and allows your co-operative and members to have a direct input into the work of Students for Cooperation and to benefit from the active support of Students for Cooperation.
Non-student co-ops, other organisations, and individuals can apply to be Affiliate Members. This allows you to show support of SfC’s work, to more easily get involved, and to be involved in SfC’s democratic and organisational structures – though Affiliate Members do not have voting rights.
Contact us if you would like to become a member.